Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy 2008

And here I am. January 2, 2008. I attempted to encapsulate my 2007 earlier in an email to someone I hadn't caught up with in a few years. A lot of things defined it -- Neil, traveling, music, good food, some work accomplishments. New friends, reconnecting with old friends (that means you, Cheech), reconnecting with much-more-decent parts of myself ... all good stuff. I am, of course, not mentioning the not-so-good moments, but in general, this year yielded more promise than despair. And that's something.

It's late at night (actually early in the morning) and I've had a glass or five of wine, so yes, I am going to get schmaltzier than I'd intended to this early on in this forum: I love my boyfriend. He has helped me this year in so many more ways than he probably realizes, and as he's new to technology and hasn't yet caught on to bookmarks, he isn't likely to stumble upon these words anytime soon. I'm getting kind of teary now (that would be the wine, the pms, and the time of year. And the tendency to get teary), and I want to go on sort-of-record as saying that he has improved my life immeasurably over the past year -- more than even I yet realize. He is a kind, patient, sensitive, brilliant, talented, sweet, funny and comforting man. And that just skims the surface.

My KPSBTSFC-man threw me a birthday party, a 37th birthday party. And although I was pissy the next day over one aspect of the evening, this is resolved and pales in comparison to the warmth that filled my home that night. Friends I've known for 25 years and ones I've known for just a few months joined my oddball little family (accordion player, shiba inu, crazy chick) to celebrate, and we ate, drank, and were merry. Oh, and someone brought someone who puked in my bathroom, but it was with a warm heart and a head full of good memories that I cleaned it up the next day.

I did get that camera for Christmas, and I largely neglected to capture the evening on film -- too preoccupied playing hostess -- but here are a couple of random photos. So many people missing from them.

Handsome Dan
Two Five Year Olds

Smokin' Di with Cameos (Mario, Katy, Bruce, Kim, Alyssa, another Bruce)


The Lovely Dindi

Birthday Girl


George & Me, End of the Night

That lovely drawing in the background on my bedroom door was my homemade card from little miss Rachel Rodriguez, to her titi Laura.

Much more to come. New Year's reflections, that sort of thing. But now I must attempt sleep.






No comments: