Sunday, August 31, 2008

A chance for redemption


In 2002, the late writer and historian Stephen E. Ambrose described New Orleans as "the city that care forgot". Little would he know the prophecy of his words.

As I've mentioned several times, New Orleans is very dear to me for countless reasons and experiences. This time around they are doing things better, according to my friend who is down there on assignment. He is a brilliant photojournalist who has spent extensive time there and in farther flung places I have never traveled. This time around he saw people rounding up the homeless and driving them to safe shelters.

But the city is still miles away from being as prepared as it could be and is still, physically and emotionally, suffering the aftermath of Katrina, and I place the blame entirely on the unbelievable corruption and idiocy of this current administration.

My heart broke during Katrina, and these feelings are surging inside me now. I will try to keep the vitriol at bay.

This time around I plan to do more.

No comments: