Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Baba ganoush


Too many days have passed since I last wrote. As this is not unusual, I announce that I will officially stop apologizing for not writing more frequently. It's not productive. It's like those acquaintances, in my experience usually women, who spend your every moment together talking about how you two need to get together and whining -- in my experience usually drunkenly -- about how you never call them. And it's hard in this distractingly modern world to brush someone off ... how many times will someone believe that you don't have their number anymore because you've lost yet another cellphone? I've used this line twice already on B's friend ... we'll call her Ivanka ... who pulls that shite every time I see her -- nags me and complains that we never get together. I'm running out of excuses. I feel like the duck on the right.

-End of tangent-

Sherry came over for a bite and a drink last night, which was lovely. Neil made pizza -- he's been working a lot with pizza lately -- as an appetizer, I made salad and dressing, and then he and I dined on tilapia fillets, which I requested with a panko crust, as well as a rice dish. Tonight, he just informed me, we'll be having his homemade buckwheat blinis with some sort of (really inexpensive and surprisingly good) caviar, and the usual accoutrements thereof. Is thereof a word? And if so, did I use it correctly?

Here is a photo of Neil in his cooking attire:


I know it's a strange angle, but I feel I should let him sign off on any real pictures I post. He alternates between the black apron and the Union Jack one that Berun brought us from London.


Here are some of the dishes Neil has made for me and friends. Everything he has ever prepared for me has been incredible:
  • Gumbo -- last Friday night for 9 of us, as a matter of fact
  • Duck a l'orange
  • Japanese-style barbecue
  • Etouffee
  • Boeuf Bourguignon -- we had my parents over for dinner Monday night, and this was my mom's birthday meal
  • Coq au vin
  • Buckwheat crepes with wild boar sausage and ligonberry jam
  • Paella
  • Baba ganoush, for which I just had to look up the spelling, hummus, tabouleh
  • Coquille St. Jacques
I could go on and on, but it would get ridiculous. I am a well-fed girl.

2 comments:

Damama T said...

HI! I surfed in here on the "next blog" button. It is so funny that you are talking about that duck on the right feeling! I know it SOOOO well! A friend and I were just doing this the other day - after she AGAIN said she'd lost my home number... had mailed her son's wedding invite to a 3-yr-old address... yadda yadda yadda. I've only called a dozen times over the last year and she never calls back, so I've decided to just give up and DUCK OUT! LOL!

I'll be back when I have more time to look around. Those NY pictures are really interesting - I wanna see more! TTFN

Bed Stivy said...

Hey Gaba Banoush!! I thought you were gonna update this thing yesterday! ;-)

I chopped my hair.

wapow!