Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Been a long, long time ...


Hello my friends! I've been a terrible blah-ger of late, and for this I apologize. I got in a non-blah-ging rut and grossly overstayed my welcome. But now I'm back and I will de-rut immediately.

Much has happened. Still working on my "novel", I'm happy to say -- it seems that I just might reach my goal of 20,000 words by Labor Day, thanks to the guidance of my excellent writing coach, Jill Dearman. Any NYC-based writers who might be interested in her services, check her out on line. Her approach, which has become my approach, has really been working. I made a big deal out of hitting 10,000 words. As Brian said, "Now you just have to put them in some kind of order," which lead to a short-lived banter of nonsensical words "Platypus toast might World War One ever in being for spoke bartender taking the" and that sort of thing. Two people -- my mum and my friend Steve -- asked what word # 10,000 was: overtanned.

Who knows how much of this will remain after the first round of edits? Not I.

In other someday-they'll-catch-on-to-me news, a memoir that I edited is being published this fall, and is in pre-sales on Amazon and B&N at a sizable discount. The book is called Living in the Woods in a Tree, and is about the late country singer/outlaw Blaze Foley and his relationship with the author, who was his girlfriend in the mid-70's. The title refers to their temporary makeshift home in a treehouse in rural Georgia, amidst an enclave of artists and bohemians. Blaze met an untimely death -- by murder committed by a man who got away on a technicality and is now a minister of some sort in Las Vegas -- and there has recently been a resurgence of interest in him. A documentary is in the works, as well as a release of some of his music, which is amazing. Lucinda Williams wrote a song for him following his death: Drunken Angel. If you are at all interested -- it's really a beautifully written book and a great story -- I hope you'll consider pre-ordering a copy! I stand to make at least $37.00 off this project. Celebratory PBR's are on me.

What else ... I'm in insomnia mode right now so will have to save the real catching up for a post later today. The sky is turning Crayola's Thistle ... do they still make that one? I always liked it in the way I liked Cornflower. My alma mater, Lafayette College, is in Easton Pennsylvania ... home of Crayola. And Larry Holmes.

Must go try for another hour or so of sleep. I shall return.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah the Larry Holmes Commodore Inn... that place is gone now from what I hear.

My favorite Crayola crayon was and still is "burnt umber". It was the only color I could use for my skin when I drew one of my many self portraits (Portrait of the young artist as a budding narcissist). I couldn't use black and I certainly couldn't use "flesh". That was just silly. And don't get me started on "indian red'. OK, I'll climb down off the soapbox, now.

Ed

Anonymous said...

I was and still am partial to "maize."