Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lie, Cheat and Steel (Pulse)

This morning I was perusing one of the freelance writing job sites I frequent, and I came across this gem:

Wanted: Someone to Write my Ethics Papers

Oh, the money I could make were I less scrupulous...

Last night, Neil and I went up to Central Park with a bottle of wine and a blanket and eavesdropped on the Crosby Stills and Nash concert at Summer Stage. They were really good. As always, there were many people doing as we did, picnic baskets, wine, dogs, babies, marijuana (the others, not us) ... and we moved a couple of times till we were finally not sitting among large groups of people talking loudly and paying absolutely no attention to the music. I understand that it's a social event and fun to come with your friends and all that ... but the "free" seating area is, literally, on a bed of wood chips. Not comfortable, reminiscent of the environment in which my childhood pet gerbils lived ... wouldn't these people rather be in the comfort of one of their homes -- or at least on a grassy knoll somewhere?!

A few weeks ago we went to a free-for-everyone show on one of the piers downtown -- Steel Pulse, a great reggae band from England. This was a banner evening as, not only was the band amazing, but I got a step ahead with my new camera! I learned that, when photographing live musical performances, Sports mode works best. Finally, I'm making progress with this thing:




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steel Pulse was my first "New York City" show! Spring of 1996, I was visiting my friend Chris, who lived on East 6th Street (Curry Row). We went to Red Stripe Bar and KGB afterwards. They put on a great show!